Sunday, September 15, 2013

Why I'm Here


Adults often joke about how younger people think they're invincible, how we live with the impression that nothing can hurt us because we're young and able-bodied. Sometimes we're guilty of being procrastinators. We put things off because we think, “Oh, I'm young. I don't have to start worrying about ___ until I'm 50.” I had that mentality for a long time too.

Then I got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.

It was 3 years ago. I was 19 years old and sitting in pain in a rheumatologist's waiting room. I was the youngest patient there by at least 40 years, and the other patients were making me anxious with comments like, “But you're just a baby.”

“This doctor better find something wrong. If he brushes me off like the last quack, I'm gonna punch him.” I muttered to my mother, who was sitting next to me flipping through a magazine. Pain tends to make me cranky.

“Relax, just listen to what he has to say.”

I sat in silence, praying that this guy would finally figure out what illness had been plaguing me for the past 4 years of my life.

Finally it was my turn to see the doctor. After greeting me, he scanned my blood test results. “A normal person's inflammation levels are usually at a 5,” he said. “Yours are 13.6. No wonder you're in so much pain.” I handed him the x-rays that he asked me to go get after my first visit two weeks prior. He examined them quietly, then took my hands to feel the joints in my fingers and wrists.

He looked up at me then, and with a smile said,“Congratulations, you have Rheumatoid Arthritis. You and I are going to become best friends.”

It was a bittersweet moment. On the one hand, I now had an explanation for why I could sleep 20 hours a day ever day and still be tired, and why I could no longer type or climb stairs. That was a relief.

But now I had an incurable autoimmune disease to battle, one that would only get worse with age. Without getting too technical, having Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA for short) means that my immune system is attacking my body instead of germs and viruses. While my entire body is affected, most of the damage happens in my joints. 1% of the U.S. Population has this disease, and they think that it's a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors that trigger it. Don't worry, it's not contagious.

Basically, not a day goes by that I'm not in some sort of pain. When I get sick, it's usually pretty bad, since my body can't fight the infection. And someday (hopefully not anytime soon) I'll start seeing physical deformities. You can look up photos online if you want. I don't because they just spur a panic attack.

My entire life has changed since my diagnosis. I see the world differently now. I find humor in the smallest things. And I blog about it because, you know, I might go insane otherwise.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. I guess I might be biased when I say I really enjoyed this blog because I can relate to the situation. I was diagnosed with RA too and I know how rough it could be. I thought the dialogue helped a lot because it helped create the scene. Monologues helped also because it allowed the reader to try to understand what is going on in your mind at the moment. I think I was one moment where you put a comma in the wrong place, but besides that, I thought it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece was written very well. As her first blog post, it introduces what her blog will focus around, which is her arthritis and the struggles it brings to her daily life. The usage of her dialogue is very impressive. When she describes the inflammation of an average human at 5, and hers at 13.6, you really understand the pain and suffering Alyssa suffers every day. Then again, she does not dwell and drown in her sorrow, as she continues to be somewhat comical and uplifting in her explanation and story about her disability. For example, I love when she describes her disability, and concludes the paragraph with, "Don't worry, it's not contagious." Alyssa is a strong writer and I will enjoy reading her blogs.
    -Rurik Ferro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style of writing and the topic you chose to make your blog about. It's something that's really important to you and I like that you are so open to writing about it. Your humor puts this serious topic into a light that other can understand also.

    ReplyDelete