Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Exam Panic

Exams are a necessary evil for students. We all need to take them, and we know to expect them. How we handle them varies from person to person. Some will choose not to study and won't sweat the material. Others will study vigorously until they feel confident in the material. Then there's a select few that fall into the "let's panic about everything" category. I include myself in the panic category, but for different reasons than most people think. For me it has become so much more than just studying and passing a test.

The panic starts the second an exam is announced, with my inner monologue sounding something like this:

Is it going to be multiple choice? I hope it is. Please tell me it is. Oh God, what if we have to write an essay? Shit, what if the entire exam is an essay? Or multiple essays? Oh no, the Blue Books! She said Blue Books! I'm screwed. What if the weather is bad that day and I wind up flaring? Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll snow ten feet and Rutgers will deem it necessary to close the campus...

Since being diagnosed, exams have become more of an endurance test for me than anything else. First, there's the studying part. Chronic pain lessens my ability to focus. I once forgot how to spell my name during an exam, which was a pretty low moment for me. Even while studying, there are moments when my mind wanders to the sharp pain in my wrist, or my stiff neck, or the fact that I can't breathe because my immune system decided to attack my lungs right at that moment.

Then there's the night before the test, and try as I might to be asleep by 11pm, my immune system says, "Nope, time to toss and turn and be uncomfortable until 2 am." So then I start cursing at it, and shift around so much that the dog gets annoyed with me and goes in search of a more peaceful bed.

On the day of the test I'm cranky and exhausted. But the bigger problem is the fact that it's raining outside and my fingers keep locking up as a result. I can't give you a scientific reason as to why this happens (people tell me it's about barometric pressure) but rain heightens the pain. So now I need to start praying that my special pen designed for clumsy arthritic hands won't run out of ink because I'd never be able to write with a regular pen on a rainy day. Some days I get lucky and I can use a regular pen, but only for a short while. 

And finally, I get to the test. It's a test that requires three hours of constant writing. So I'm hunched over the paper, kink in my neck, hips locking up because I don't have the opportunity to get up and move around. More wandering thoughts.

I do feel sorry for myself sometimes. It happens to all of us. Then I realize that it could be a lot worse, that I should suck it up and be grateful that I'm in school in the first place. Besides, it's a much more rewarding feeling when that exam comes back with a good grade, because I know how much blood, sweat and tears literally went into it.

8 comments:

  1. Your post does a great job of connecting with the readers. Even if you don't have RA I feel like a lot of things in the blog can still ring true for many of the people who come across this. The part about your dog really brings the reader into the situation and helps us to get a great picture of what you are going through on a daily basis. Your inner monologue also helps to convey your inner worries and concerns that others might take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post because not only does it connect to people that have rheumatoid arthritis, but it connects to all your audiences. I feel like I can relate to it. The inner monologue feels the readers go inside your perspective. This particular piece of writing conveyed the panic emotion. Your writing does a great job echoing what you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was my favorite blog out of all the blogs I have read. I really like this post because although you have RA, you made it feel as if anyone can relate when it comes to taking an exam. But although we can relate, you also made it clear that you had RA. I could not find any grammar errors so I felt that you did a really good job! I know I have to have some criticism on how to improve your writing, but all I can say is I hope you keep up the consistency in your blog. -Ralph Cantada

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this blog spot. I feel like you kept a great balance of connecting to others while still explaining the difficulties of RA. My favorite line is "I once forgot how to spell my name during an exam..". I felt like at that precise moment you captured your disease and anxiety of taking exams perfectly. My only criticism would be to continue using examples like this. It gracefully brings together your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can relate to this post because i too get anxiety when taking tests. this post went in depth about the anxiety that you yourself go through with arthritis. the details make this essay so strong that i myself felt your pain as i read it. _ Leticia Checo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you categorize what you believe are the three different types of exam takers. It's really interesting and shows some thought. I also enjoy your inner monologue, and the progression of your anxious thoughts. I initially read it and thought that Blue Books frightened you because, like many other students, you dislike writing for tests, or the points you earn are based solely on what you can recall and put on the paper. I never even thought that perhaps you don't like that type of exam because sometimes you physically CAN'T write, or because you CAN'T remember what you want to say. It's terrible, and it truly makes me feel fortunate for my own situation, while giving you all the more credit for yours.

    You have a great way of capturing the empathy of the reader, as well as a direct understanding of your point of view. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really did become emotional after reading this blog. I respect you more than words can explain for everything you endure on a daily basis. I don't have RA, but I can relate so well to this because around exam time I become all nervous, my stomach starts turning, my head starts throbbing, everything just becomes a big fat blur until after the exam. I can only imagine what you have to deal with going through the pain you do and than dealing with the anxiety on top of all the pain from RA. I admire people like you who deal with RA or any other painful situation but yet find it in them to be glowing, optimistic, and funny all at the same time. Your blog can really become an inspiration to many and I'm excited to see more from you. Keep your head high and stay positive beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alyssa, overall you're a fantastic writer. I enjoyed every one of your post. Your writing skills is so captivating and very well written. I can tell from just reading through your posts that you took your time with completing each and every one of them. This post I can personally relate to because I have horrible test taking skills. I can study for an exam and on the exam day totally forget what I studied throughout the past few weeks. Like Hana said in the above post. You're a very strong person and I respect you even more after reading and going through your work and understanding what you're life is like. You deal with RA very well, I would've never thought that just by sitting by you in class that you go through all of this. I admire your work, seriously keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete