Tuesday, September 24, 2013

On a Positive Note...

There's no denying that having RA is downright awful sometimes. There can be low moments for sure. Instead of focusing on the negative though, I want this post to be about some of the positive things that have come from being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. So here they are:


1. I can't donate blood. You might ask how this could be viewed as something positive. You might feel like lecturing me on the importance of charity, or give me some statistics on how many people rely on donated blood. Don't get me wrong here. I admire and appreciate all people who have no problem with donating, mainly because I'm petrified of needles. The idea of being stabbed and subsequently having a large bag of blood removed from my person is enough to make me hyperventilate. This is where having RA becomes positive. People with autoimmune diseases aren't allowed to give blood (mostly because of medications and unknown disease factors). So when I'm asked if I would be willing to donate I don't have to make up excuses to hide my needle phobia from the general. I have an honest reason not to. However, karma still gets me: I need to have blood tests done every three months. I can't win. But at least I only have to face my rheumatologist's lab tech. And, maybe some blog readers...


2. I can predict the weather. This is not a myth. Nor is it a type of magic. If I wake up one morning and my right shoulder is stiff and creaky, I know it's going to rain that day. This is helpful on days when I run out of the house without checking the weather. At least I'll know to grab an umbrella. Rain and RA don't make for a pleasant combination, but at least I can impress small children with my "magic powers."


3. I have an excuse to take time for myself. I've always been that person who never said "no." I went through high school and most of college thinking that I was Superwoman. I took on multiple jobs, volunteer work, full time school, and a social life. RA has definitely slowed me down, but that's a good thing. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in whatever we're doing that we forget to slow down and enjoy life or take breaks. I used to just say, "Oh yeah, I'm tired, but all people who work hard are." My diagnosis changed that mode of thinking. Now I realize that it's okay (and important) for me to say no, because at the end of the day, if I'm not healthy and happy, I'm useless to everyone else.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post specifically for how you noticed that the earlier posts added a bit of a dark and depressing mood to the blog. All I had to read was the first item and I gave off a little chuckle. You didn't need to explain why it was a positive thing for the chuckle because of how quick of a change in emotions are poured into the blog. You're writing style is also extremely fluent to the point where I didn't want to take a break to write this comment. Finally, let me just commend you, because from your previous posts, it sounds like typing is a project in and of itself. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you purposefully chose to focus on positive notes for this post, especially as all of your positives were backed up with hilarious explanations, such as where you talk of impressing small children with your weather powers, and when you talk about your fear of needles (a fear I share, by the way). The way you shift this humorous, slightly ironic tone in the end to a more sincere message about learning to take care of yourself is seamless, it feels perfectly natural. You have great control of language, and your personality and voice is evident in every one of your posts.

    ReplyDelete