Monday, November 25, 2013

Even Worse than a Bikini

If you could change one thing about your body, what would it be?

I'd ask for different hands, unlike my teenage self who would've said she wanted a flatter stomach.

I distinctly remember the day where I realized how ashamed I actually was of my hands. My mother had just had surgery for a deviated septum and asked me to go with her for her follow up doctors visit. I sat in the waiting room crocheting (not knitting, which involves two needles and which I loathe doing) as we waited for her name to be called. An old lady came out into the waiting room then. Her eyes locked onto the hat that I was working on. "Oh, I used to crochet when I was younger. I miss it a lot, but I've got Rheumatoid. She lifted a hand off of her cane to show me what she meant. Her hands were completely deformed (I think it's called swan neck deformity), mangled much in the same way that you would see in a cartoon where the character's hand was run over by an army tank. I couldn't stomach it. My mother continued talking with her, while I sat there trying to prevent a panic attack. There was a lump in my throat, no air in my lungs. If she stood there any longer, I was going to have to leave the room to hyperventilate.

She finally left. I was ready to faint. My mother saw how red my face is, how puffy my eyes were from holding back tears. Seeing pictures of something is one thing. Seeing it in person is a whole different ballgame. "Medicine has come a long way," Mom said, knowing what I was thinking.

I stretched my hands out in front of me. I wasn't in remission then, and I was living with the idea that remission would never happen and that my joints would continue to disintegrate. I studied my hands intently. They were swollen and red from the heat my joints were throwing off. There were dips in my knuckles from where my finger joints were separating. If I moved one finger, they all had to move from lack of flexibility (it's still really hard to flip someone off). There was no chance of straightening my fingers out, so I was walking around with monster claws. Even though I'm in remission now, the damage that was done to my hands is irreversible.

Is there a little bit of vanity here? Yep. I don't get manicures or wear rings because I'm so self conscious about my hands. I'd rather walk around campus in a bikini. That lady taught me something important though. Why do we let our fears about how we look  prevent us from doing the things we love? I don't know how she feels about the way she looks and never will, but she sure as hell wasn't happy with the fact that she couldn't do something she loves anymore.

I worry about how long my hands will be functioning. Will I have to stop crocheting one day? Will I need to give up my jewelry business? What about chopping onions for dinner?

I don't know what the future will bring. My boyfriend asks me all the time why I keep picking up new hobbies. Why not? If I'm not gonna have use of my hands in 40 years, then why shouldn't I try as much as I can now?


7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog. Your writing is full of imagery and I can just feel the emotion you had while seeing that old woman. I feel it all the time when I see older people who are sick, even though i don't have the same similar experiences, my heart feels how they feel. I admire you for all you deal with having RA. The only thing that you can really do is stay positive and try to live without thinking too much about future problems you may endure. Great job Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imagery here is astounding, you make what you've seen and felt so realistic. It's really well done! You also do a great job of conveying such a personal topic. I never realized the anxiety that can build up through such a lifelong problem. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post. You made it funny even though you were talking about something serious and a sensitive subject for you. You kept me interested.
    I also particularly liked the way you explained how RA affected your hands with the "it's still really hard to flip someone off"...genius . And then there's your worry about not being able to do the simple things like "chop onions for dinner ."
    My only critique would be to pay attention to your tense because I think it changed from past to present while you were still talking in the past. But otherwise, this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire this post. She contrasts the difference between her immature, teenage self who wanted a "flat tummy", and her mature self who could careless about appearance and wants her arthritis to be gone. This really puts a different perspective on the realities of life. Alyssa is very independent, and her writing shows how passionate she is about her writing. The fact that she is struggling with this disease does not hinder her one bit, and that makes her such an inspiring person. Keep it up Alyssa! Needless to say, your one of my favorite writers in this class because you write from your heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really do a fantastic job of opening the reader's eyes to the world of rheumatoid arthritis. I would never have imagined the struggles to be this intense on such a regular basis. I'm glad you're in remission, but I couldn't imagine your constant fear, and I think you are doing wonderfully despite these worries.

    You have a manner of writing that holds my interest effortlessly. Perhaps it's also the subject matter, or the fact that your writing is thoughts and feelings -- not simply one drab event after another -- but I'm actually invested in your day-to-day activities. Be careful with a few small proofreading errors. Otherwise, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can get a sense about how people with RA feel about themselves and their insecurities towards their body. This can be related with people with any disease feel about themselves. You do a great job writing and giving readers imagery. Continue to pick up new hobbies and enjoy them. Never take things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy how you write your posts. It makes it so easy for the readers to connect. Your writing and topics leaves me wanting to read more of your work. Your tone is light a humorous but informative at the same time. I like this particular topic because it's such a common question but it totally puts RA into perspective. It's really creative and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete